Welcome To The Parish Of Stondon Massey
Where is Stondon Massey?
Stondon Massey is a small rural parish within Brentwood Borough. The population is currently 613.
The village, for the first time entered the Best Kept Village in Essex Competition and was awarded equal Best New Entry. The village was not only judged on appearance, facilities such as notice boards, magazine and what activities are available in the village were also taken into account.
Why is the village called Stondon Massey?
Stondon means ‘ stone hill’, a Saxon settlement was established near to to
the site of the 12th Century church of St Peter’s & St Paul’s. A low gravel hill was known as a ‘down’. Hence the name Stondon. Massey is derived from Serlo de Marci, a Norman knight who lived in Ongar. The main part of the village is now just over a mile to the south of the church probably due to the plague of 1350.